Wednesday, January 17, 2007

You took a picture of that?!

Sorry for being such a slacker lately. I've been stuck in Science Fair Project hell. I hated doing those projects as a kid and now the schools are assigning these stupid projects earlier and forcing complete parental participation. My poor daughter, she got the short end of the stick when it comes to creative mothers. Her project actually looks like a ten year old did it, not like a ten year old did it with some help from a parent. She actually did the majority of the work, I just helped with the aesthetics - and it was still pitiful. Ahh well, the point is that she loved how it looked when we were done - all the rest is unimportant.

Since I'm feeling lazy, I thought I'd share some of my artsy fartsy pictures with you. I LOVE photography and my family always makes fun of me when they're looking at new pictures and come across pictures like this:


Yes, I realize it's a stick. But it's a stick on the beach and I made it into a black and white picture, which automatically classifies it as art, which they would know if they had taken Art Appreciation in college.*

I also love taking candid pictures of my kids. In fact, I detest staged studio pictures. Try explaining that to old people who actually want to see the kids' faces.



I have no idea why I took this picture, I just liked the broken fence and lonely palm tree.



This is my husband and his brothers this past summer at his older brother's wedding. The picture was the husband's idea, I was the photographer. Somehow we didn't communicate enough, as it didn't come out quite how the husband had planned. (I still don't know what he wanted, he's not mean enough to act anything but grateful.) And, yes, they actually wore those outfits - hats and all. They looked like Pentecostal gangsters, but it's what the groom wanted and it made the atmosphere really playful.


And to prove that I actually do take color pictures, here is a picture of the shrimp boats. How lucky am I that I get to see this kind of view on a daily basis?




Alright, I'm done holding you hostage with my pictures - for now ;)







*Before you think I'm THAT snobbish (and ignorant), I'm only joking. I'd never say anything like that out loud to my family.

4 comments:

Kevin Charnas said...

I LOVE the pics, love them... and yes, I remember that from "Art Appreciation" as well. Black and White immediately qualify it as art. Speaking of which, those children of your's - beautiful! You and your husband have a few masterpieces of your own, huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the gansta wedding pic!

Miga said...

Kevin - as always, you are too kind. Most of the time we think they're kinda cute too. Thanks for validating my definition of art ;)

Slackermommy - Thanks, I'm kind of partial to it too. Thinking about framing it for the MIL.

Bex said...

I'm so envious of your being so close to the ocean...I leave near tons of water, Puget Sound, Lake Washington, and much more, but there is nothing compared to the sweeping extremes and vast expanses of the ocean. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. I love the one of you chillin's the best.