Thursday, April 26, 2007

Not quite what I imagined....

I have been working on my bachelor's degree for over 5 years now (10 if you count completing my Associate's) . I've had to take several breaks for various reasons but I've always gone back.

Hearing about how my sisters and all my cousins are finishing school after the "right amount" of time makes me feel less than adequate. It's nothing they've done, it's just that sometimes I feel like I could have done better.

There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel - I graduate in two months. (Cue the hallelujah chorus)

I've been sending out resumes all over the southern portion of the state trying to find any job that will allow me to use my degree. I've only heard back from TWO places. One (the one I mentioned the other day) will still have me being someone's admin assistant, but with better pay. The other (which I interview for tomorrow) will actually have me doing accounting from the get go. Neither have made me an offer, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I'm just feeling a little discouraged. The thought that has kept me going all these years was that once I had my degree, things would change. I just knew I'd find a decent job and we wouldn't have to worry anymore about which bills we could pay and how much gas we could afford to put in the vehicle this week.

Like Kat Williams said, "You shouldn't have to be making life decisions at the gas pump." :)

I didn't think we'd be rich by any means, I just hoped that more doors would open and I'd have more options.

For now it seems I'm in that awkward phase - no one wants me for piddly bookkeeping because I'm "over qualified" and the accountants don't want me because I don't have enough experience yet.

I'm sure it will all fall into place soon. This is a good time to practice patience, something I'm not so good with.

PMS doesn't help either.

2 comments:

Site manager said...

You are going to get a kick ass job I feel it in my bones!!!

As for the degree, you did it, you plugged away so I am far more impressed with you than I am someone who goes right after high school and has no other responsibilites!

Miga said...

Thanks Grail! Are you hiring? ;)