Thursday, April 5, 2007

Emotional Baggage

Well this week marked the 25th anniversary of my mother's death. She was killed in a car accident when I was only five.

It was only a couple of years ago when I actually realized how much rage I was suppressing. I went through a period of being angry at my step-father because he was the one who was driving when the accident happened. I was angry at the driver of the semi-truck because he crashed into the back of my mother's car, causing her to be trapped in a car that was on fire. I was angry at the judge for making me go live with my father, taking me from all the people I knew and loved. I was angry at my father for allowing my step-mother to abuse me, while doing the same himself.

I also lost my faith, which is really ironic because my middle name is Faith.

I lost my faith in God when it was explained to me that God took my mother because he needed her in heaven to take care of the babies. I know my family meant well and had no idea what to say. But it pissed me off. I was angry that God would take my mother, because I needed her, those babies could have someone else's mother.

I lost my faith in people in general when my own father abused me and allowed his wife take out her jealousy of my mother on a mere child.

Her death hit me hardest as an adult and every year at this time, I tend to lose my stuff. Only I don't tell anyone what's going on, I just go off my rocker. The process has been painfully slow, but this year has by far been the best year. I didn't cry. I didn't hide in my house. I didn't freak out while watching a movie that involved a child losing his mother. I just noted the day in my head, hugged my kids a little tighter and went on about my day. I know she would have loved my children to pieces and she would have been honored to learn that my daughter was her namesake.

I still have some anger, but I've made peace with most everything. I tend to have setbacks when I have to deal with my father, but I've made tons of progress. I still haven't regained my faith, but I'm working on it.

I'm learning to focus on the good things. I have three healthy, beautiful children. I have a husband that loves me. I'm thirty years old and I still have all four of my grandparents - they're all reasonably healthy and (for the most part, lol) have healthy mind capacity. I have an aunt who loves me as if I were her own child and cousins that I'm closer to than my own half-sisters.

So see, my life may have gotten off to a rough start, but I sure am lucky to be where I'm at and to have the love of so many great people. I'm just glad I "woke up" before it was too late to enjoy the good things.

5 comments:

Slackermommy said...

I'm so sorry. You're anger is so understandable. I know too well about grieving about the loss of a mother. Although mine is still alive I'm angry that she never was the mother I should have had.

Miga said...

Thanks, luckily that anger is fading. It helped me to realize that my mother and I might not have had the perfect relationship I had imagined as a child. It made that fantasy easier to let go of. It was hard enough having a psycho step-mother, I couldn't imagine how painful it would be to have your very own mother behave that way.

Pendullum said...

I am sovery sorry for the loss of your mother...and all the years of rage that followed...
But am so glad that you have found a path... And are enjoying the good things... As this is what all mothers hope for their daughters...

Site manager said...

Oh Miga, I am so sorry, and I totally, completly understand and know where you are coming from! It is hard to work through all that stuff but it sure sounds like you are getting there!

BIG HUGS!!

m

Miga said...

Pend, you are so right. I would want my daughter to live a happy and full life without wasting her life grieving for me.

Grail: thanks. It's been baby steps, but progress is a good thing :)